Saturday, March 23, 2013

Valentine's Day

February 14:  I think Valentine's Day might be my favorite holiday (while maybe right after Christmas!)  I love celebrating this day as a special family day.  I love making special food and surprising my kids and husband with small gifts that represent how much I like them!  It's an ordinary day--school & work, but I love making it as special as possible for the family I love so dearly...
 
We started this year with a special V-Day breakfast (harder to do on a school day!)--we had red velvet pancakes with pink glaze, sausage (an absolute favorite at our house!), cheesy eggs with sprinkles, and strawberry smoothies.  I got to experience a first this year--helping with Sadie's school party--I love crazy Kindergarten parties (I'm a bit partial).
 
 
 
Marc usually does flowers but I honestly didn't expect them--that made the surprise even better!  After Sadie's party I had to drive to my friend Michelle's to pick up Kinnick and Macey.  When we got home around 4:30, Marc was still at work but there were 2 vases of gorgeous flowers waiting (and he was actually able to put them on a clean counter!)  The daisies had a card saying "Sadie & Macey" and the roses had a card with my name... I love my awesome husband!

I'm sure that going out for dinner on Valentine's Day is overrated--especially when you have 3 little ones!  Instead, we have the tradition of a fancy dinner... in our house!  This year we had fettuccine Alfredo, garlic bread, Cesar salad, green beans, and sparkling juice.  Marc bought these fancy valentine glasses (from the $ store) a few years back. 

The kids enjoyed some snuggle time with Daddy after diner so I could get ready for their next surprise...

Two years ago (when Macey turned 1) I made a Valentine scavenger hunt for the kids.  About a month before Valentine's Day Sadie asked me if I remembered doing that and asked if we could do it again.  I loved buying little treats for the kids in the weeks leading up to Valentine's and stashing them away.
1st Surprise--Valentine Harmonicas
 
2nd Treat--Giant Licorice
3rd Gift--Valentine Snack Cakes (Marc informed that I should have got Cosmic Brownies!)
                                               
Next Stop--Coloring Packs

The last 4 stops of our scavenger hunt had a wrapped gift for each kid (and Marc).  After the kids found Macey's, then Kinnicks, I knew Sadie would be expecting hers so I hid Marc's 3rd.  Her reaction was pretty funny.  She was excited or a final clue to find her gift too!
Macey got an Olivia Movie

Kinnick got a Card Game

Sadie got an American Girl Doll Book
It was fun watching the kids figure out the clues and see their excitement as they rushed around our house.  We may have to make this an annual tradition!  We ended our night with strawberry icebox dessert--perfect night with my (not-so) perfect family!

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Wow! I have no idea what we did for V-day... of course Josh was out of town... and that always seems to be the week we get the flu!