Friday, March 22, 2013

Sadie's 100th Day of School

February 6:  When Sadie brought home a note saying that she would get to design a 100 day shirt to wear to school I was not excited... for 2 reasons.  1)  I'm really not a very creative person--I can imitate things that I see with a good deal of success, but I'm not that good with original ideas.  2)  I know from past experience that projects such as this can be difficult to do with Sadie Sue.  She gets something in her head and I kind of have to go with it or my life will be very miserable.
 
We started like all good craft projects should... with a trip to Hobby Lobby.  As we walked the isles I offered lots of ideas (from my limited creativity) and she shot them all down and became increasingly more frustrated that I "just didn't get it."  She came upon a box of foam "cowgirl" stickers" and got her mind set on making a cowgirl shirt.  We chose some puffy paint to use as well. 
 
I knew that her closet was full of several solid colored long-sleeved tees that she refused to wear.  I was able to talk her into using one of these, but only if we could cut the sleeves off.  I helped her mark the sleeves and cut them off and we glued them under to make a finished edge... after that we used LOTS of hot glue, a boot template for tracing, and 100 STICKERS!
 
The Front:


The Back:
 
Sadie decided to turn the cut off sleeves into "arm warmers" and she also really wanted a matching headband.  We cut up an old shirt of Macey's to turn into a headband... 

I must admit--this is not what I pictured in my head... it's BETTER!  I love her smile in this picture.  She was so proud of her original creation.  It was still an easy process but the end result was worth the extra patience and time spent together. 

 

Love my sweet 5-year old Girl!