Wednesday, March 20, 2013

New Year... Resolutions?

Ok... maybe not so much.  I know I'm not allowed to write about New Year's Resolutions in MARCH (after all our year is almost a quarter over!)  However, I do have some reflections, and a few goals for 2013. 

I can't believe we've spent a WHOLE YEAR in our new house!!  It was a whirlwind--lots of changes, lots of firsts, lots of new!  We are loving our new church, our new friends, and our new community.  We miss our friends from Streator but I do feel that we've all adjusted nicely.  Sadie sometimes asks about her old friends but Kinnick and Macey don't know any different (Macey does talk about Wrigley regularly!)  We've made so many great new friends and become in lots of great activities.  If I can spend time and energy focusing on one BIG thing this year it would be to ENJOY every day for what it is and to give myself (and my family) permission to let go of perfection (this year's Hearts at Home Theme... more on that later).  I tend to expect perfection in every area of my life and frankly--it's never going to be possible.  I want to embrace the path God has for me--including all that He is teaching me. 

Some goals for this year:
  • 1 date per month for Marc & I (at least!)
  • Focus on keeping a better morning and nighttime routine
  • Continue to have Bible time with our children on a regular basis
  • Memorize Scripture as a Family
  • Read at least 6 parenting books and 1 marriage book
  • Work on speaking to my family in a soft, peaceful voice ALL the time
  • Do a better job updating this blog!
  • Create a more structured routine for household tasks (realistic & attainable)
  • Get our kids involved in household routines (chores) & hold them accountable
  • Establish a system for holding "family meetings" when needed
  • Be intentional about dating our children (both Marc and I) and having regular family fun days
  • Work on balancing my outside commitments (saying No when I need to)
  • Read more books to my kids
  • Be more intentional about doing learning activities with my kids (Sadie--during summer, Macey & Kinnick--during school year)
I am giving myself permission--right now--to not accomplish every goal on this list.  I know I will be more fully devoted to some than others.  These are the things that have been filling my mind recently--I wanted to write them down so I can check in with myself as our year progresses.  I know this will be a BIG year with even more change (can anyone say Baby #4?) but I'm ready to face it and do my best to make the most of each day.