Sunday, April 14, 2013

Hearts at Home '13

March 16:  Hearts at Home has become a yearly tradition that I very much look forward to!  I've been going now for 6 years (wow!) and feel so fortunate to have this yearly weekend get-away to look forward to.  I was able to go Friday night and meet up with 5 college girlfriends for dinner and a sleepover.  On Saturday we got to spend the day together while being encouraged and uplifted... I can't think of a better way to spend a girls day!
 


My friends Stephanie & Liz blogged their "highlights" for the day.  I loved the idea, so here goes:

Morning Main Session:  No More Perfect Moms by Jill Savage:
Jill focused on letting go of the "perfect" ideas we build up in our heads and embracing our REAL, messy, genuine life.  When we are authentic with others, we build true relationships.  I loved how she talked about planning margin in our days so when our schedule is "poked full of holes" we can see these "interruptions" as God's plan for our time.  (I'm reading her book now and participating in an on-line facebook study!)

Session 1:  Wise Women Raising Wise Daughters by Lynn Cowell
Lynn talked about how we MUST teach our daughters that their value is in Jesus Christ alone.  We must talk to them and model this... God + Girl = Valuable.  She also emphasized that "Man's Rejection is often God's Protection!"

Session 2:  How to Dress your Mom Body with Confidence by Shari Braendel
Besides giving LOTS of practical tips for dressing every body type, Shari emphasized "My child's view of what a woman is/looks like comes from ME!"--this is true for my sons and my daughters!  It was also fun to stop by Shari's table for a personal color consultation.

Session 3:  Passionate Mom:  Protecting Your Child in the World by Susan Merrill
Susan talked about how I am the "gate keeper" in my child's life.  It is my job to open/close the "gates" in my child's life.  Once a gate is opened it is MY job to carefully guard it!

Session 4:  7 Habits of a Highly Effective Mom by Sherry Surratt
My favorite "habit" was #7--Parent with the END in mind.  I am raising husbands/wives, leaders of tomorrow. 


No comments: