Monday, April 15, 2013

Baking Party

 
 
March 28th:  I'm so thankful that Sadie agreed to let me help her plan a baking party... I say this because usually anything that is my idea is not what she chooses.  Sadie has been anticipating this birthday party for awhile.  We decided to let our kids have "friend" parties on their even birthdays so she's been waiting for #6!  She liked the idea of a baking party and I'm so glad because this party was as much fun for me as it was for her! 
 
Sadie and I had fun making invitations--I got cupcake paper, cupcake stickers & brads, and sparkly pink ribbon.  Making the invitations with Sadie was a little stressful--she ended up making 2 her way and I did the rest.  She invited 6 girl friends and Ms. Jennifer & Kyra.  She also insisted on inviting our Children's pastor from church (who was very honored!)  I also invited all the moms who wanted to stay and party with us. 
 
Here's what we did:
 
Decorating Aprons:
We got white aprons and fabric markers at Hobby Lobby.  Sadie picked out lots of fun embellishments.  Before the party--I made each girl a baggie with all of her add-ons in it.  The dinging room table was decorated and set up with the aprons and all the craft supplies.  I set up a hot glue gun and iron on a side table.  The girls got to color their aprons and arrange their "pretties" and the adults who were there did the gluing/ironing.  I loved seeing their creative side shine through.  Part of me really wanted to buy cute aprons for the girls ahead of time but this was so much better--they LOVED decorating their own aprons to wear!
  


 
Eight Works of Art!
 Making Mini-Pizzas
I had the kitchen table set up with 8 place mates for our baking projects.  I made dough ahead of time and wrapped it in individual-sized portions for each girl.  I had all the pizza toppings set up in bowls.  Each girl got a piece of foil (sprayed) with her name on it.  They made their pizzas and we baked them right on the foil squares so we would know what pizza belonged to each girl.  Again, I loved seeing their creativity and uniqueness--one girl made a heart shaped pizza!  (I also made a couple pizzas ahead of time for our extra guests and adults.) 


 Pin the Cherry on the Cupcake:
I helped suggest this idea in sticking with our party theme (Sadie really wanted to play pin the horn on the unicorn!) and Sadie agreed that a cupcake would be fun.  She made this game completely by herself!  I bought poster board and some sparkly red paper.  She drew and decorated the cupcake and cut out all the cherries.  Again--not what I pictured in my mind, but much better!  She was so proud of herself.  
 
Opened Presents:

 
Decorated Cakes:
Of course the most popular event was decorating cakes... it was my favorite too!  I made 9 small round cakes ahead of time (3 each of chocolate, funfetti, and strawberry--Sadie's favorite).  I used one cake mix of each flavor.  I made the cakes several days ahead of time, cut them in half, wrapped them and froze them.  On the day of the party I let the girls frost them frozen (easier than frosting a freshly baked cake).  I gave each girl a cup of white frosting.  They also got a spatula with their name on it to take home.  After their cakes were frosted they could choose from lots of sprinkles and candies along with 4 different colored frostings to decorate their cake however they pleased.  I set up all the decorating goodies earlier in the day and had them on a tray ready to go.  The girls needed help getting their base frosting on but after that they did fine on their own.




 
The Finished Masterpieces:








 
We ate Pizza and then there was DANCING:



 
And of course we ate CAKE:
The girls each got to take home their mini cake.  I bought cake squares slightly bigger then the cakes and we wrapped them with saran and tied them with ribbon.  Sadie decided she wanted the same Hello Kitty cake as last year (which was good with me because I had so much other stuff to get ready for her party!)  She did request a pink bow this year instead of red.  We found Hello Kitty cupcake liners and I scooped up ice cream ahead of time into muffin tins and stored it in the freezer until cake time--this was a HUGE time saver!

 


 
 
 
True Confession:  I NEVER could have pulled this off on my own!  My dear friend Sarah came over for the day to help me.  She is a teacher and was also on spring break for the week.  She came over around noon (after I got back from taking all 3 kids to the pediatrician for yearly checkups... Yes, I am crazy!) and helped me with all the last minute details.  She was AMAZING!  She also helped during the party.  While we were switching from one activity to the next, she cleaned up behind us and prepped the next thing.  She washed lots of dishes and wiped up lots of sticky frosting!  She stayed after everyone was gone and helped me clean up (a job I usually save for the next day).  I decided I can never again have a birthday party without having a personal assistant!  THANK YOU SARAH!
 
This was without a doubt my favorite birthday party so far!  I loved having a 4 year old superhero party but I'm a girlie girl at heart and this was so FUN for me.  I can't wait to have one for Macey in the future (maybe I'll wait till she's 8!)  I loved making this fun, fun memory with my favorite 6 year old.  Looking forward to lots of parties in the future but I truly enjoyed this moment in time!


No comments: