Sunday, October 24, 2010

Obedience Chart

On our fridge these days, you'll see a "Gorsch Family Obedience Chart". This idea came from several different sources... I heard a friend talking about starting a kindness chart in her house. Her boys got to put up stickers when she saw them being kind to each other (unprompted). They had to work as a team to fill up the chart. I thought it was a really good idea and filled in the back of my brain. I wanted to implement something, but really wanted it to focus on obedience (love the kindness idea, but obedience is a bigger priority at this point!) Two of my girlfriends had recently read the Duggar's Book and passed it along. I read about how they have a "Yes Mam" chart--they earn pennies each time they say yes mam and obey. I liked this idea b/c we've always taught Sadie to respond to us when we ask her to do something (and sometimes she's not so good at it.)
Here is a picture of the kids with their first completed chart! They get to put a sticker when they respond with a "Yes Mom" or "Yes Dad" and obey quickly, thoroughly, with a happy heart (borrowed from my sister-in-law). Kinnick gets a little more help and extra reminders--if Sadie gets a reminder she doesn't get a sticker. (However she is always quick to ask "Mom, will you tell me another thing to do?") It's been a fun way to reinforce how we want them to obey...

I wanted to keep their rewards focused around fun family activities. We talked about it and Sadie requested Chuckie Cheese for their first reward. I agreed thinking a big reward for the first chart could get them more motivated. They completed their chart so we headed to Chuckie Cheese. We had a coupon for 20 free tokens for Sadie's 1/2 birthday so we enjoyed about an hour of fun for free! We then took the kids to McDonald's play place for lunch and did some shopping... The kids are started on chart #2--this time they are working for a family movie night.

1 comment:

Tim and Liz Casey said...

I'm putting this one in the back of my head for future use!