Sunday, May 3, 2009

Date Night

On Friday we had plans for the kids to go over to play with friends while Marc and I went out. Sadie was SO excited for this all day. When I picked her up from Jennifer's I told her we needed to go home so Kinnick could eat, then we would go over to Emma's house. Sounds simple enough, Right? It turned out to be a bit more interesting...

We got home and carried school bags inside. I asked Sadie if she needed to go potty (she's been doing really well!) She said yes and we were on our way to the bathroom, but didn't make it. I laid Kinnick down--he was ready to eat and NOT happy. I striped Sadie's clothes and sat her on the toilet. I cleaned her off and left her sitting there while I cleaned up the mess. I made it back to the bathroom to see her (still sitting on the potty) grinning. "Toilet paper all gone, Mommy." There was about 1/2 a role on the bathroom floor. (Luckily she doesn't do this regularly.)

I got Sadie into clean clothes and sat down to nurse Kinnick. I read Sadie a couple books and then she went into her room to fix us some food in her kitchen. Next think I heard was a little gasp followed by "Potty Mommy!" She had another accident! I was shocked b/c she hadn't had any accidents for 3 days and she usually only goes every few hours. I laid Kinnick down (VERY mad at being interrupted) and carried Sadie to the bathroom. I put her back on the potty and then sat on the floor to finish feeding Kinnick. When he was done and Sadie had on her last pair of clean undies, I ran up stairs to get Kinnick a clean diaper. I heard him start to fuss and ran downstairs to find Sadie with her shirt pulled up and Kinnick's face pressed against her tummy. "He's not done eating Mommy."

At this point I was just ready to drop them off so I get ready for my date in peace. I took Sadie to her room to get new clothes. On the way she found the shirt she wore Thursday in a laundry basket and asked to wear it. You can't wear that, I need to wash it. "Mommy, this doesn't have pee on it, you don't need to wash it." I finally convinced her to wear something different.

I finished getting her dressed when she informed me that she needed to go potty--What?!? You just had two accidents! Nevertheless, back to the bathroom we went. Amazingly enough she did go! She wanted to wash her hands, so I turned on the water and ran back upstairs to change my shirt. (At this point Kinnick was playing happily in his pack-and-play.) I came back to find that she put the entire hand towel into the sink and was trying to put the soaking wet towel into the hamper. Oh, Sadie!

I was finally ready to load the kids into the car when Sadie requested to take her doll with her. Okay, easy enough (so I thought!) "Mommy, Emmy needs undies." (We had just taken Sadie's undies off the doll for her to wear b/c they were the last clean pair!) Emmy is a "Baby Alive" doll and she just comes in a shirt and diaper. Sadie was okay with her wearing a diaper, but she wanted to put Kinnick's diaper on her. I showed her that Kinnick's diaper was too big. "Mommy, Emmy needs pants." As she said this she had her drawer open pulling out a pair of jeans. I told her that Emmy had to go in her diaper or stay home and take a nap.

Kinnick is in his carseat and we're finally headed out the door. I have the diaper bag and Kinnick--Sadie has Emmy. As Sadie approaches the stairs to go down to the front door, I hear whining. She says "Mommy can you carry Emmy, she's too heavy for me." Never a dull moment... We enjoyed every minute of our peaceful dinner!

5 comments:

Trista said...

oh sadie! These are alot of things Jaren would also get accomplished!it must be the 2 year olds!

Smith Family Blog said...

I needed this laugh tonight! :)

Tim and Liz Casey said...

Love it! You are awesome!

Bethany said...

Oh man do I know what this kind of night/day feels like! Thank you for giving me a preview of nursing and having another little one to care for! I will be experiencing this soon and know it will at times be stressful, you handle it so well! Sadie is doing so well with potty training, she is well on her way!

Jenn said...

I have SO been there. Many a time I nursed Faith while sitting on the side of our bath tub supervising Grace's potty training. Glad the date was worth the work!!