Friday, June 28, 2013

Berry Picking

June 18:  I have been really excited to take the kids strawberry and blueberry picking this year.   Blueberry picking doesn't start until mid-July so it might be trickier (with a new baby!)  When I heard about this local farm to pick strawberries, I couldn't wait to take the kids!  It's called Olive Berry Acres.  We had so much fun!
This was Macey's first experience "picking" anything... she loved it!  Her and I worked on filling up a basket together.
Sadie was my little expert--she went to town filling up her own basket.  She also convinced me that we needed to pick some raspberries too!
Kinnick was far more interested in eating the strawberries!  After about 30 minutes of picking, his basket was completely EMPTY!  He told me that he just needed my help so I helped him fill his basket.
Macey thought this was a "Biggie"

My 3 Berry Pickers!



My little "Berry Monster"!


Our final haul...

 My friend Sarah went with us--it was a huge help to have another adult (and a much more enjoyable car ride for me!) 

We ended up with 9 lbs of strawberries and 1 lb. of raspberries!


So far we've enjoyed strawberry shortcake, pancakes with strawberries, strawberry crumb cake, and strawberry milkshakes.  With the berries I still have left in the freezer we have plans to make strawberry icecream, strawberry oatmeal, strawberry lemonade, and strawberry popsicles.  YUM YUM!!

No comments: