Thursday, March 3, 2011

How Do I Know...

That my little boy is officially a member of the "Terrific Twos"?

  • Maybe it's because he INSISTS on doing things himself... things that I could really help him with (aka--some things that take ALOT of patience on my part!) For example, climbing into his booster seat and buckling himself in--every time, OR singing his own bedtime song (he says exclaims, "I sing it, not you mommy!"), OR getting himself completely undressed--including diaper when it's time for a bath... just to name a few.
  • Maybe it's because he is so completely dependant on certain routines that life will end if they are altered. (And some routines are becoming a bit ridiculous!) Example--his bedtime routine (once we've brushed teeth and made it upstairs) goes a little something like this: change into pajamas (and he has to be involved in picking them out), get two books to have in bed (and when he says two, he really means 4 or 5), play for a couple minutes (not sure when exactly this got added but as long as I let him touch a truck the routine will proceed more smoothly), read a bible story, sing & pray (he usually insists on doing these himself), get tucked in and get a kiss, say I love you and good night (and he will persist in saying I love you and good night several times getting louder and more desperate each time as if we're not answering him back!) If one element does not go exactly right (in his mind) he'll lay at his door crying for a very long time--it's actually a bit humorous!
  • Maybe it's because when he gets his mind set on something he doesn't give up. Example: One day he wanted to wear his Mickey shirt. I told him it was dirty and got him dressed. He cried and then proceeded to dig through his dirty clothes hamper until he found it. He proudly proclaimed "It's not dirty--see?"
  • Or maybe it's because when he gets upset, there will be absolutely NO reasoning (even if it is the most basic, obvious solution)... NO reasoning--just screaming.
  • Maybe it's because in his eyes everything is about him... like every time we go to a party (no matter gender or age) he thinks it will be Kinnick's truck party. I also hear the phrase "I need you Mommy" or "I want you Mommy" dozens of times each day (which can be nice... sometimes.)
  • Or maybe it's the complete lack of self-control... jumping on Macey, pouring water out of a glass, sitting on Macey, flushing the toilet, laying on Macey, messing up Sadie's puzzles, generally ruff-housing Macey in any form imaginable...
When it comes down to it, I guess the reasons don't really matter... I love this stage of his life! As irrational as it seems at times, all the frustration gives way in witnessing just one moment of pure innocence. I know my baby boy will keep growing and soon all the little antics I listed above will be long forgotten, until that happens I choose to cherish this moment in time.

1 comment:

Bethany said...

Poor Macey!!! He seems so wonderfully ornery!! I love boys and how they see things in their world!! Belle had some of those qualities but some were not as rough!! Can't wait to see you all next weekend!