Monday, March 7, 2011

Awana

This year our family got involved with the Awana program at our church. We have been loving it--it's a great mid-week activity. I've always wanted to be involved with Awana but felt that while working full time, one week-night commitment (small group) was all that I could handle. I knew that this year Sadie would be old enough to join Cubbies so I was looking forward to being a leader. I kind of planned on helping with 1st grade or older (lots of my former students are involved) but they needed another helper for "Puggles" (the under 3 crowd) so I (somewhat reluctantly) signed on.

Puggles is only for the children of Awana workers... we usually have between 8--12 children. We split them into two rooms (1 year olds and babies/2 & 3 year olds). I'm with the 2's and I love watching Kinnick! The lady who has been the "teacher" for the last few years made the decision to come every other week this year so I rotate teaching with her. Granted our lessons are about 5 minutes max... I love it! We have lots of people come to Awana (and work as volunteers) that don't go to our church and some that don't live in Streator so it's been fun to meet new people. I've also become good friends with the two girls who work in the 2-year old room with me--neither of whom I knew before this year. One is a single mom to two little girls and I am constantly inspired by her. She is so committed to loving her girls and teaching them about Christ and she does it on her own... while working and having a strong commitment to her own spiritual growth. Sadie in her Cubbies vest... Cubbies is a two year program for 3's & 4's before they start Kindergarten. Club members are responsible for wearing their vest each week and completing a section of their handbook (which includes memory work for each week). We work on Sadie's memory verses at meal times and she loves doing her "homework". They get patches for completing their book work... and I just love sewing them on! At times it is a struggle to get Sadie into her classroom and get myself out, but it's been worth it (and she's been doing much better since Christmas!)

During Puggles we usually play for awhile, sing, have our lesson/story time, do a craft activity, and end with snack and some more play time. We have the kids for 1 hour 45 minutes. They really do a great job! They love to line up their chairs for lesson time.

Kinnick doing a rhyme with the other teacher--Ms. Amy.

Prayer Time

Coloring--Kinnick has the schedule memorized and loves to remind us what is next.

My Big Girl!

Macey and her buddy Corissa with Ms. Jo--snack time is their favorite time!

2 comments:

Bethany said...

I haven't ever heard about this program before, where did you guys get corriculum??? I love the patches idea and we ahve been looking for something 'like' girl scouts but with a gospel theme and this is something I would be interested in for church!! I am glad you are having a great time serving!!

Smith Family Blog said...

Awww, love it! We LOVE AWANA, too! It has seriously been the one "constant" in Moses' life over the past crazy year, and I am so thankful for it!