Saturday, January 8, 2011

Ham Balls

This is a family favorite recipe (both from mine and Marc's families!) It's one that a lot of people haven't heard of or tried necessarily... but once you have them you're hooked (usually!) I've been meaning to post this recipe for quite some time--Enjoy!

  • 1 lb. each ground ham/ground pork
  • 1 1/2 c. graham cracker crumbs (I use one package)
  • 3/4 c. milk
  • 2 eggs

You will likely have to go to a meat locker to find ground ham and ground pork (although you may be able to get it at a larger grocery store (just ask at the meat counter.) Mix ingredients together and form into balls. To get even sized balls you can try using a scoop or pat your meat into the approximate size of your pan and cut it into even sections... Like this: Form each section into a ball and place in a 9x13 baking dish. I usually make 24-32 meatballs. One pan is more than enough for our family (currently!) so I split it into two dishes. I bake one and freeze the other for later. I also frequently make this meal when I take dinners to other people--depending on their family size, I can make a pan for them and a pan for us. When the meatballs are done, make this sauce to pour over the top:

  • 1 c. brown sugar
  • 1/4 c. tomato juice
  • 1 t. mustard
  • 1/4 c. vinegar

Combine ingredients and boil for 5 minutes, while whisking. (I also do this in the microwave 3-4 minutes.) When sauce is done, pour over meatballs and bake at 350 for 1 hour. Meatballs will get darker on top. *Note* If you decide to freeze you can form balls, place on a cookie sheet and freeze for 30 minutes--toss them into a zip lock bag for easy storage. Add sauce right before baking.

2 comments:

Ashley said...

I love them! Never made them, though, so thanks!

Stephanie said...

YUMMY!!!! You're making me HUNGRY!!!