Sunday, April 27, 2008

Please?!?

Yesterday evening before bedtime, Sadie crawled into our office area (while I was on the phone) and tried to pull a wallflower out of the outlet. I told her no and continued my conversation. This didn't seem to phase her 1-year old determination, so I moved her away from the outlet and told her no again. As soon as I let go, she crawled right back to the wallflower. This time I picked her up to go out of the room and shut the door. As I picked her up, she started repeatedly signing the word "Please". I had to smile at this last effort to get what she wanted. Today I was thinking about how it will be many years before Sadie is able to choose what is best for herself. Even when she is capable of making some of the right choices, she won't always choose to. This is one of the overwhelming responsibilities we have as parents. It's easy to get caught up in worrying about the future... But for today, I can smile at the simple innocence of my little girl saying please to try and get what she wants!

No comments: