Monday, July 16, 2012

Feed My Starving Children

Sadie, Marc, and I were very fortunate to have the opportunity to participate in a Feed My Starving Children mobile packing event.  Our church partnered with 3 other area churches to sponsor this 1-day event in which we worked to package 133,000 meals!
Our volunteer shift consisted of a 2-hour time commitment.  We had a brief orientation about what the food packs consisted of (chicken, veggies, rice, & soy), how the organization was started, and why it exists.  After our orientation we went into the packing room where FMSC staff demonstrated the different jobs at each packing area and then we split up to pack meals.  The packing time was high-energy--music, cheering, and a little friendly competition.  Our group was the last of the day so we also got to help with tear-down and clean-up.
The minimum age to participate (with an adult) is 5 years old.  We were excited to have this opportunity to serve with Sadie.  I am also excited to take Kinnick and Macey when they are old enough!
Sadie did a great job!  She tried out 4 different jobs while we were working.  She spent most of her time holding the bags under the funnel as they were filled with food (first pic of Sadie).  She REALLY wanted a turn scooping food (above pic) but she wasn't quite tall enough.  She took a couple breaks but worked really hard to help.
Another couple from our group helped during the same shift as us.  This is Sadie and her friend Luca after we finished our time.  As we left, the staff encouraged us to pray over the food.  This was the hardest part for me... thinking of the kids that would eat this food, the families that would be affected by what we did.  It was very humbling for me to realize that many, MANY mothers have to go to bed at night not only feeling hungry themselves, but knowing that their children are hungry also.  I don't understand why this is a reality in our world but I know that it is my job to help however I can.  It is also my job to teach my children to have a heart like God's.
I have to think my friend Lindsay and my sister-in-law Corinne--both of these women shared their experience in working with FMSC.  I first heard about FMSC when my friend Lindsay posted THIS in her blog just over a year ago.  Last summer Cori told me about participating in FMSC with my niece and nephew.  The minute our church announced that they were planning this event I knew without a doubt that I wanted to be involved.  At the end of our packing time a staff member spoke to our group.  She said "If you enjoyed what you did today we only ask that you please tell others about it."  FMSC does not advertise--they count on people to tell others.

If you are reading this and want to know how you can get involved you're in luck!  There are many ways... visit www.fmsc.org to find out specific ways to pray, how to give $, or how to volunteer.  There are 2 options for volunteering:  1-Find a permanent facility close to you (I was excited to find out there is one less than an hour away that has shifts almost every day including weekend and evening shifts!) OR 2-Check into sponsoring a mobile event through your church or organization.  Check out the requirements HERE.  Our church worked hard to do lots of fund raising to support this event, but it was totally worth it (and great partnering with other churches!)  Check it out if you get a chance... you won't be sorry!

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Love this; this would be fun to do with all the girls sometime!