Saturday, November 29, 2008

Our Adventure

I have been wanting to write more about our experience ever since we got home from the hospital... (For those of you who don't want to read it all--skip to the pictures.) Now that I've had some more time to reflect, I'm glad that I didn't write this post sooner. With Sadie's birth I was able to immediately embrace my experience--I even remember telling Marc (right after it happened) that I knew without a doubt that I wanted to experience this again. This time around it took me several days to develop these positive feelings. I told Marc yesterday that I'm up for the challenge again. (Not for awhile however!)

One comment that I heard many times as I was pregnant is that "No two pregnancies are the same." I really understand that now! I was very prepared to have Kinnick early (2 weeks-like Sadie) and that certainly didn't happen. With Sadie it was just time to go to the hospital, there was no waiting, wondering, or second guessing. With Kinnick I thought so many times "Maybe tonight..." and then the morning would come. Even on the day of his birth I debated until the last minute if I should go to work or not. I kept thinking that if I stayed home he wouldn't come. I am however, very glad I did stay home! The morning of his birth was so nice--Marc and I let Sadie sleep in and after we dropped her off at the sitter's we went out for breakfast. Next we went grocery shopping and ran errands. We couldn't remember the last time we ran errands without Sadie and didn't feel rushed! When we finally got home I took Wrigley for a long walk (something else I hadn't done for a while). Marc made lunch for us and we sat down to watch TV. I finally decided it was time to go to the hospital but I wanted to finish cleaning first. I mopped the kitchen and Marc vacumed and mopped the wood floors.

My friend Liz works at the hospital and she was there waiting when Marc and I arrived. The nurses were expecting me b/c I had talked to my Dr. on the phone earlier in the day--they already had a birthing room ready for us! Although it seemed MUCH longer, it was only 3 1/2 hours of time at the hospital before Kinnick was born. This labor was much more intense then Sadie's. My favorite part was sitting in the whirlpool bath (I was looking forward to this before we even got to the hospital!) I layed there in my swimsuit sipping gatoraid through a straw--I told Marc "I'm pretending I'm on the beach..."

After the whirlpool, I bounced on a ball and Marc and I played war (we never finished our game, but my Dr. told Marc he was not allowed to win.) I remember at one point looking up at Marc and saying "We'll get to hear him cry soon..." That thought helped get me through the rest! When it was time to push, I really didn't think I could do it, I just kept telling myself it was almost over. Next of course--the best part of all, holding him in my arms--when I made it to that point I knew that nothing else mattered. Kinnick had arrived, he was perfect--the only thing missing was big sister. She got to come meet him for a few minutes that night. Tuesday, November 25th, 2008 is a day that I will always treasure!

Now for the pictures... We're off to the hospital!

Kinnick's debut--he came out screaming!

Marc cutting the cord...

Getting weighed & measured (an hour later!)

Sadie's 1st kiss!

After his bath (late Tuesday night)--I love his chubby cheeks in this pic!

Wednesday afternoon--Sadie comes for a visit. We got her a little baby doll stroller and she pushed up & down the hallway many times!

The nurses had fun doing his hair!

Our precious baby boy.

Mommy's little guy.

6 comments:

Bethany said...

Yeah, he is so cute! I love his chubby cheeks. I'm sorry it was painful but maybe next time it will be like Sadies, that is always a thought. I think it is all worth it in the end! He is perfect.

Anonymous said...

congrats you guys...He is so cute...tell everyone the Turner's say hi...

pckoch said...

What a precious baby! I love your words about your experience-words that you and your children will cherish forever! (You have me crying!) I can't wait to meet him! I hope that we will be able to see you all at Christmas!

Love, Aunt Charlotte

Lindsay said...

What a perfect little man he is!

Smith Family Blog said...

Oh, thanks so much for posting more pics! :) He is beautiful and we can't wait to meet him! (AND see Sadie again, of course!)

indymommy said...

He is so precious, he reminds me a lot of Micah because of all the hair and their size is only 1 oz different! Can't wait to meet him!