Sunday, March 30, 2008

Birthday Emotions


I didn't expect to experience so many emotions surrounding Sadie's first birthday... For me the excitement began weeks ago as I started to dream and plan. I loved making her invitations and buying supplies for her party. I love pink (and hope to pass this love on to my daughter), so getting ready for her party involved LOTS of pink! I experienced much excitement as I began to anticiapte the big day.

Also, along the way to b-day party time, I experienced some frustration--when things didn't work as I planned or when I couldn't find what I needed. Some of the frustration happened the day of her party as I finished decorating her cakes! (Luckily I had friends and family here to keep me calm!)

As we began setting up and getting things ready, I was visited by some last minute worries... Thankfully, I didn't have much time to worry about anything. As guests began to arrive, I was overwhelmed and extremely thankful that my daughter is loved and cherished by such wonderful people.

I love watching Sadie. I had a blast yesterday watching her interact with people, explore new things, and especially dig into her cake (sweets are a rare treat!) I was filled with such Joy watching her smile and squeal with excitement. After her party ended, Marc and I were filled with such satisfaction that we were able to celebrate such a wonderful milestone with our precious daughter.

Now, as I reflect I am experiencing some sadness. I'm sad to leave the "Baby" days behind, but joyful to enter the next stage of her life. It is hard to recognize that my baby is a little girl.











5 comments:

Smith Family Blog said...

Oh, I am so glad you posted birthday pics! She is such a doll. And the cakes looked AWESOME! :)

In fact, I skipped breakfast, and now I am thinking that cake sounds very good...

But remember, she IS still a baby. She will seem like a baby even when she is 30. Or so my mother told me this month. :)

Smith Family Blog said...

Hey, did you do the pretzel sticks, too? That is an incredible idea... would you share the recipe for the white chocolate?

Bethany said...

I had the same feelings with Belle. I wrote her a letter to tell her all she did that year and what I feel about her. The second year was really hard too. I don't think it gets better but who knows. Every year I write her a letter about herself and all she encounters. Sadie is just to cute and you did such a great job on her party, love the head dress!

Lindsay said...

Oh my goodness! You are SO cute! The cake, decorations and especially your Sadie are so great! Getting to see the pics makes me feel like I'm not so far away! By the way, thanks for handling the coordinating of the food for the prayer retreat next weekend. That took a huge load off of Nathan.

Jenn said...

The cake looks like it turned out great! If you think she is a little girl now wait until she turns two. You've still got a little bit of baby left. :)