Friday, October 14, 2011

A Trip to the ER

During our second week at our temporary house Macey took a fall down the stairs (about 12 stairs total!) She ended up with a pretty decent sized cut on her forehead. Sadie & Kinnick have both had cuts on their heads and for me the ER is a last resort (I'm a big fan of butterfly band aids!) But after looking at Macey's cut I knew we were going to be making a trip to the ER. We were on our way to Joliet to meet Marc at McDonalds play place for lunch. Instead, we met him at the Hospital. I was nervous about keeping track of all three kids in the waiting room and keeping the older two entertained if I needed to help with Macey. (At this point I hadn't met anyone who I could ask for help with the kids.) I was expecting to wait for awhile in the waiting room and more waiting before we could see a doctor. I was pleasantly surprised!

In my opinion our whole experience could not have been better. We were in and out in just over an hour. The hospital we went to (Provena St. Joseph in Joliet) had a pediatric ER unit. We were in a room within minutes of walking in the front door and were immediately seen by an ER tech who cleaned the cut and told us what to expect. The doctor was in the room within 15 minutes to look at her head. The only waiting we had was time for the local anesthetic to take affect. Marc took Sadie and Kinnick out of the room during the actual stitches (the only time Macey cried) and I helped hold her. This part took just a few minutes. After that the kids came back and we were discharged by another nurse.
Macey still has a noticeable scar but she handled the whole ordeal like a champ. I hope we never have to experience this again, but I am thankful for the positive experience we had during a not so fun time!

No comments: