Thursday, August 19, 2010

A Sad Good-Bye


I originally meant to type this post back in May... just now getting around to it, but it seems more fitting to write it now. Today was the first day that the kids came back to school. This was one of my favorite days as a teacher--seeing their little faces. After labeling a bajillion things, I finally got to put a face with a name. It's also exciting to go back and to see all of my friends who I hadn't seen over the summer...
I'm beyond excited to be starting a new chapter in my life--but I'm also sad to be closing the door on this chapter. Although I plan to teach again--I don't know what grade I will get and I'm pretty sure it won't be at Oakland Park. Oakland Park has been a 2nd home to me for the last 5 years. I've made amazing friends who have made a huge difference in my life both professionally and personally. These friends helped me learn the ropes at my first teaching job. They were there through the births of my 3 children. We've laughed, been frustrated (and sometimes angry), laughed, cried a little, and laughed. I couldn't have asked for a better experience to begin my teaching career.
I will miss the school, I will miss the parents, I will dearly miss my co-workers, but most of all--I will miss the kids. Those Kindergarten children were my reason to go to work every day. My job wasn't always easy, but it was guaranteed that I would be giving and receiving LOTS of love each day.
I loved knowing that God was using my talents to make a difference. I feel like I am giving up a piece of who I am, but I know that being a teacher didn't give me value in God's eyes, nor does being a stay-at-home-mom. I am valuable to him because HE created me. HE blessed me with my job at OP and HE has now blessed me with the opportunity to stay home with my children during this season of our life. I am so excited to see what else HE has in store for me!
I'm sure that I will continue to experience sad reminders... like seeing the school supplies in Wal-Mart, or meeting an OP kindergartner at Marc's softball game, or seeing past students in the grocery store, or seeing the crossing guard out my window... but for now I find peace knowing that I am exactly where God wants me to be--and there's no place better!

1 comment:

Tim and Liz Casey said...

This was so nice! I've been thinking about you a lot this week as we've gone back -- probably totally mixed emotions for you. You are an awesome teacher and thankful that I am able to share that with you! Lots of love!