Thursday, January 21, 2016

Elizabeth

June 27:  During our trip to Virginia I got a phone call from a good friend with some devastating news... my friend Elizabeth died.  Elizabeth moved in across the street from me when we were in 4th grade.  I remember my mom telling me that I should go ask her if she wanted to play/ride bikes... so I did.  We were pretty much inseparable for the next 8 years.  She is a part of nearly all of my memories from Jr. High & High School.  Some memories I have with this girl:
  • Lots of bike rides & walks around town (and once walking to Augusta!)
  • She was SO loud!  And Crazy! And spent so much time laughing
  • Many trips to the Bowen Dairy Barn and lots of lazy summer days at the pool
  • Sleepovers with lots of singing, dancing, and prank phone calls
  • LaMoine Christian Camp and CIY
  • Homecomings, Proms, and lots of scheming about the Boys we liked
  • Volleyball, Basketball, Cheerleading, Band/Chorus, Drama
  • Getting into trouble together
  • SOOOOO many nicknames for each other
  • Fighting (and making up)
  • This girl did not like chocolate but she would eat Reeses PB cups by picking off the outside chocolate layer and enjoying the pb center.  She also liked to make chocolate chip cookies with no chocolate chips. 
  • We wrote poems, songs and stories together.  In middle school we spent lots of lunch recess time working on our "book".
  • Lots of trips to the mall--doing crazy things and laughing until we couldn't stand up
  • She had a laugh that was instantly recognizable and her smile could fill up a room
  • No one could talk her into doing something she didn't want to do; however, she was very persuasive. 
Elizabeth was my first best friend.  She taught me how to not take myself too seriously, not worry about what other people think, and how to really enjoy life.  She left behind a husband and 2 amazing girls, adoring friends, and parents/siblings who miss her so much.  Her life ended too soon but I know her memory is treasured by many.  So many things in my life lead to memories of this vivacious, LOUD, outgoing lady who I loved dearly.
Meeting other HS friends--Bethany & Jennifer for her memorial service
My friend Lorree

No comments: