Saturday, January 25, 2014

Holiday Expectations

December 5:  For me, it is SO easy to build up HUGE expectations in my mind when it comes to celebrating (well, anything really) but especially Christmas.  I start making mental checklists (and often concrete ones) before the thanksgiving turkey has even been cooked.  I always think I can cram it ALL in... every special activity, every thoughtful gift, all the baking, the crafts, the cards, presents, and wrapping... just to name a few!  I fear I am sometimes missing out on much of the present as I am dwelling on the past or dreaming of the future.  Sometimes it is easy to keep chugging along, checking off boxes, everything going just great... and sometimes this happens:
 

 
And of course it happens when you're ready to head out the door and drop your 1st grader off at school then head over to your MOPS steering team meeting... yep--it just had to stay there for most of the day--water, pine needles, broken ornaments, and all.  Instead of dwelling on the extra time to clean this up and redecorate our tree, I took it as a reminder that sometimes the things we will remember (and laugh at) for years to come are the things that we could NEVER plan for (or would want to plan for!)  My friend Jennifer recently posted this quote on facebook--"It's gonna be funny later, it might as well be funny now!"  I totally agree--if we can't laugh at this scenario there is something wrong--our tree is wedged between our staircase and front door!! 
 
I hope that during holiday times--and life--you can take time to laugh at the unexpected, enjoy the people God has blessed with you, and truly be present for each passing moment.  You won't get any of those moments back (although pictures help!) Please, enjoy each moment in time--forever is made up of moments.  A quote from the "one thousand gifts" bible study I am currently participating in...
 
"Hurry always empties a soul. Don't I have the choice to be fully attentive?  Simplicity is ultimately a matter of focus."
 
Being fully present is rarely easy or convenient.  It is often messy, time-consuming, and hard but I truly believe that Joy is always worth the wait...  
 
Baking Cookies with Macey
Flour Foot Prints on my Kitchen Rug



No comments: