Sunday, July 31, 2011

Sweet Baby Liam

On June 4th I was able to be a part of a VERY special day... Liam's birthday! Lindsey had asked me around Christmas time if I would like to be a part of her birth process with her first little boy. I was thrilled! As it got closer Marc and I formed a plan so the kids could be taken care of and could go when it was time. I spent many nights going to bed with my phone and many days wondering if I would get a call... This little boy just didn't want to come out. Lindsey was very patient and willing to wait beyond her due date. At five days overdue, she headed to the hospital (by doctor's orders) to be induced.

Lindsey went in on Thursday night with plans to call me if it happened quickly. If I didn't hear from her I would leave Friday morning to meet her at the hospital. As planned, I dropped my kiddos off Friday morning and headed to Cedar Rapids, arriving shortly after noon. I was able to hang out with her for the rest of the day. She did an amazing job all day with no pain intervention! By evening, b/c she had made little progress they stopped her pitocin an let her sleep. I went back to Andy & Lindsey's to sleep (with the 4 grandparents-to-be!)

She started again Saturday morning. I headed to the hospital first thing. Lindsey had enjoyed a jacuzzi bath and was getting started on her pitocin for day 2. Once again--she did an amazing job. Her pain was much more intense Saturday. By afternoon she was still making little progress. They were preparing to break her water early evening when Lindsey said "That was a big kick--it felt like a pop." A few seconds later she realized her water had broke on it's own (we were very excited with that!) After several more hours of very painful contractions with very little progress the doctor decided it probably wasn't going to happen. Lindsey was not thrilled that her birth plan was not going as planned but she did such an AMAZING job of accepting what was best for her little man. I loved being with her and seeing what an amazing mom she was already!

Sometime after 11PM Saturday night I got to meet William "Liam" Paul Knopp--such a handsome little boy! I told Lindsey, being a boy--he'll never probably care to know that she went through 2 whole days of labor and a C-section for him! I am so proud of my friend-- she has an amazing birth story and I am blessed to be a part of it!




2 comments:

Tim and Liz Casey said...

He is so stinkin cute!!

Stephanie said...

I didn't know you were doing that-that is super fun! What an honor, even if things didn't go as planned.