Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Breakfast Recipes

My girlfriends and I decided (some time ago!) to do a recipe exchange to get some new ideas. Well, I never got around to posting any of my recipes. I decided that I had way too many recipes I would like to share, so I decided to do it in several smaller posts... what better to start with than breakfast! I use the term "recipes" loosely with this post because these are actually just ideas...

Two of our favorite things to have for breakfast are pancakes and smoothies...

Banana Berry Smoothie: I use: 1 banana, 3 big scoops of plain or vanilla flavored yogurt (I buy the BIG containers at Aldi), a cup of frozen berries (blueberry or mixed), 1 T. ground flaxseed (just for the health benefits!), approx. 1 cup OJ, and 3-4 big handfuls of ice. Blend and enjoy! This makes enough for a big smoothie for myself and two smaller ones for the kids.


I know that you all know how to make pancakes, but we like to make LOTS of different kinds of pancakes... maybe you'll get a new idea!
  • Blueberry Pancakes (or mixed berry pancakes)
  • Chocolate Chip (or M&M) Pancakes
  • Banana Nut Pancakes: Mash one banana and chop 1/2 c. of nuts, stir into batter
  • Smores Pancakes: Add crushed graham crackers and mini-choc chips to batter, pour pancakes onto skillet and sprinkle with mini-marshmallows before you flip them
  • Apple Cinnamon Pancakes: Chop one apple and stir into batter with 2 t. cinnamon
  • Peanut Butter Pancakes: Stir in 2 T. pb (it helps if you microwave it first!)
  • Tropical Pancakes: Add 2 T. coconut flakes, 1 mashed banana, 1 c. crushed pineapple and 2 T. pineapple juice
  • Strawberry Pancakes (or Strawb-Banana Pancakes): Add chopped strawberries, a drop of red food coloring and serve with strawberries and whipped cream
  • Butterscotch Pancakes: Add 2 T. butterscotch topping and some butterscotch chips
  • Cranberry Nut Pancakes: Add dried cranberries and chopped nuts
  • Rainbow Pancakes: Divide batter into multiple bowls and add assorted food coloring, you can also sprinkle each pancake with sprinkles before you flip them
  • Lemon Blueberry Pancakes (Recipe Here)
  • "Sundae" Pancakes or Birthday Pancakes: For a special occasion we'll eat our pancakes with whipped cream, chocolate syrup, sprinkles, and a cherry or candle!

Some of these ideas aren't the healthiest, but I do use wholewheat pancake mix and I usually mix in some flaxseed... have fun--and let me know if you have any creations that your family enjoys!

Low-Fat Bran Muffins: 1/2 c. flour; 1/2 c. ww flour; 1/2 t. baking soda; 1 1/2 t. baking powder; 1/2 t. cinnamon; 1 1/4 c. milk; 2 c. 100% bran; 1/3 c. brn. sugar; 1/2 c. applesauce; 1 egg

-Mix bran cereal and milk. Let stand for 5 minutes. Stir together dry ingredients. Add bran mixture to dry mixture. Add sugar, egg, and applesauce, Stir. Bake 18-20 minutes at 400.

We like these muffins a lot. Sometimes I serve them as a side dish to casseroles, etc. Stay tuned for more recipes coming your way!

1 comment:

Jenn said...

Love this post. Going to have Jeremy read it. I'm sure he will love all the pancake ideas for his Daddy breakfasts. Can't wait to see you Saturday!