Monday, December 31, 2012

Superhero Birthday Bash

 November 20th:  It only seemed fitting that Kinnick would have a superhero birthday bash this year--he is into anything and everything "Super Hero!"  We decided to follow my brother and sister-in-laws lead and let our kids do a friend party every other year.  This was Kinnick's first "friend" party.  We'll do even years for all the kids.  I was really bummed because I was not feeling well at all in the couple days leading up to his party (right before Thanksgiving).  I thought it was just pregnancy sickness but it turned out I had a stomach bug on top of it.  His party was Tuesday evening.  Wednesday (before thanksgiving) was my worst day--which wasn't good because we were preparing to host Marc's sister and 2 families from church.  Thankfully I woke up Thursday morning feeling MUCH better!  Also thankfully-I was able to make all the preparations for Kinnick's party and enjoy his big night.

I had some ideas in my head about different games I wanted to do and ideas for the party.  I made some sparkly superhero invitations.  The week before his party I decided to sit down and finalize my game list so I knew what I needed to do and buy.  I got the crazy notion that it would be a good idea to search "superhero parties" on pinterest... BAD idea!  If you want to feel like a failure at throwing birthday parties or making cakes just spend a little time on pinterest!  I did however pull myself together and chose 4 simple activities to make his party fun. (Some were pinterest inspired and some ideas came from my sister-in-law, Corinne who had a superhero party for Jaren several years ago.)

Activity #1:  Making Super Hero Masks

Activity #2:  "Vaporize the Villain"
Each boy (and girl) got a can of silly string--4 different colors for 4 teams.  I printed and laminated pictures of different villains and Marc hung them in the garage at differing heights.  Each child got 1 minute (4 at a time) to spray the bad guys.  The kids LOVED this game and my garage was barely breathable by the time we were done!



Activity #3:  Get-Away Challenge
Each child got a superhero car BUT--it was frozen in a block of ice.  Their challenge was to thaw the car by spraying it with hot water.  (I really wanted squirt guns but there were none to be found in November so spray bottles it was!)
Activity #4:  Pin Spidey on the Web
I was sure I had a big glittery laminated spider web in my basement (from my days of teaching Kindergarten--I saved everything!)  However I could not locate one... so at 10pm the night before I settled for a big piece of red poster board that I did find and I made a new one.
Present Time:


All Kinnick's Buddies... we have so many friends with little boys!


Happy Birthday to our favorite 4-year-old!

No comments: