Monday, August 11, 2008

Finger Painting




There are many "first moments" that I imagine witnessing with my children. In my head they always go a certain way, but real life rarely matches my imagination! Finger painting with Sadie was one such instance...


I have been wanting to let Sadie try finger painting all summer. I brought some paints home from my classroom, but after thinking it through I decided this might be a fun project to do at school instead. Friday morning I needed to run to school and pick up something from my room so I decided to make a morning of it and let Sadie finger paint and play on the playground. I got a paint shirt on her, laid out newspapers, got the paints ready, etc. What's the first thing Sadie does? She put a HUGE handful of paint in her mouth. I wiped it off, explained again that we do not eat the paint, and showed her how to smear it on the paper. She enjoyed about two minutes of painting (and sneaking some more paint into her mouth) when she suddenly burst into tears--who knows, maybe the paint didn't taste good! Needless to say I cleaned her up and decided we would wait a few months before we try again... I did learn an important lesson--I should wear a paint shirt also! I was covered in finger paint. Well at least this year I can assure my parents the paint is truly non-toxic AND washable--we field tested it!

3 comments:

Smith Family Blog said...

I think she painted a rooster!

Bethany said...

I was very impressed with the picture! I was going to say I think it is a rooster but I saw that it was already stated! So I second that thought, very great! She is a peach and can't wait to see her again some time.

indymommy said...

haha! That is hilarious! I love those pics taken of our kids where you really should be cleaning them off, comforting them, etc but it's such a funny pic you have to take one more minute and capture that, then do what's necessary! Good job capturing her sobbing face, so cute!