Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Student Council

October, 2016:  I couldn't be more proud of this girl!  She decided to run for student council at her school (a privilege reserved for 4th grade students only!)  This involved coming up with a slogan, making a campaign poster, and giving a campaign speech in front of the entire 3rd and 4th grades.  The speeches were limited to 1 minute  because Sadie's class had the most kids ever running for student council!  After their speeches they make a greeting line and are allowed to hand out a small token to their voters... Sadie's campaign slogan was "Don't be Wild... Vote for me, Sadie G" and she passed out animal stickers.  She worked hard on her speech, both writing it and practicing it.  

They give their speeches on a Friday morning, students vote, and student council is announced at the end of the day... I remember that Friday being such a long day because I was thinking of her constantly!  When I walked to meet the kids after school, I saw her walking toward me looking very downcast.  When I asked her what was wrong (thinking she didn't get chosen) she told me "I'm really sad that Abby didn't make student council."  Even though she did, she was thinking of her friends.  I love her heart and her go-getter attitude.  I know she will do big things!  She loved being on STUCO--helping with events, planning service opportunities, helping with sctuco store, and working to make her school a better place.   

No comments: