Saturday, September 19, 2015

Welcome to the Candy Store!

March 30:  We let our kids have friend birthday parties for the even numbered birthdays.  Sadie has been planning her 8th birthday party for pretty much 2 years now!  She has been obsessed with Candy pretty much her whole life... when she found out that she could have a birthday party at a CANDY store, she was sold.  After hosting her 6th "Baking Party" at our house, I was excited to have the party somewhere else--much easier for me (even thought I do LOVE planning and hosting parties!)  Toward the end of January I told said we could pick a date and book her party.  We looked up info on the website and I told her all of the fabulous details that her party would include--a cookie pizza, real pizza, a punch fountain, decorating cupcakes, cotton candy, and giant pucker powder straws.  There was also some wheel of fortune game that included candy.  Next I tried calling the candy store (during business hours) and I got a weird message.  I had a bad feeling but I figured I would wait and try again... I did try--many more times.  After 2 days of calling and sending an email I decided to do some more digging.  I could not find any articles about the store closing.  After much searching, I landed on their facebook page where I learned that they had in fact close their storefront only weeks prior and were preparing to move to a smaller space... sad day!  I reassured Sadie that we would still plan a fun party.  After talking through different options, she decided to create a "candy store" at our house...  

I knew our church owned a cotton candy machine so that was my starting point--I asked if we could borrow it and I found out that it had just in fact been repaired and we could indeed borrow it.  I told Sadie we would order pizza and make a cookie pizza instead of cake and that we could decorate cupcakes.  She was bummed about the pucker powder straws but quickly agreed when I told her we could make our own candy bar for favors.  The last detail was the punch fountain.  I asked if she would be okay with cans of soda instead and she reluctantly agreed.  Our children's pastor, Amy, had given me the name of the rental company that she always bought cotton candy sugar and cones from.  When I looked up their website, the first thing that popped up was a giant punch fountain... it was reasonable so we added that final detail to the plans.  It was a crazy fun day.  She invited 16 girls and all but 2 were able to come!  (The list started with 10 but somehow continued to grow).  Sadie is like her momma in the fact that she likes to plan & throw parties and she loves all the details.  We had fun together.  I was excited to help her create this moment in time...

Cookie Pizza: 
Sadie decorated it herself!
Punch Fountain:
The punch fountain was a HUGE hit--I'm glad I bought more juice than I thought we needed because those girls drank a LOT of punch!


Cupcake Decorating:



Pin the Stick on the Lollipop

Presents:



Cotton Candy:




Cake Time:


Candy Bar:


Happy 8th Birthday Sadie!



No comments: